Friday, October 22, 2010

Salmon Steak Sukiyaki/Shabu Shabu @ Sho Teppan


Friday night dinner was a good but exhausting kind. My friend and I ended up at ION Orchard after work and on a Friday night most restaurants had queues a mile long -- okay, I exaggerate but most of them had at least a 15 minute wait. We chose the one with the shortest queue and that's how we wound up at Sho Teppan.

According to their business card, their tag line is "D.I.Y. Teppanyaki". The menu consisted of two parts - teppanyaki (grill or dry) and sukiyaki / shabu shabu (soup based). Both sets have similar food items from wagyu beef to mixed seafood to sliced pork.

I had their salmon steak (of course!) in shabu shabu style. For the shabu shabu style, you can choose to have it with either rice or udon. Along with the rice or udon, each set comes with a vegetables (assorted greens, carrots, mushrooms and tofu), salad and raw egg. The raw egg is supposed to be your dipping sauce. Their menu said that it helps tone down the heat from your cooked meat. That didn't seem to appetizing for me so I asked their staff what else I can do with the egg. They told me that you can choose to mix it in your soup. Now that seemed like the better option.

Overall, the food was okay. The best thing about it was the soup - tasty and bottomless (they add more as it evaporates due to the cooking). The salmon was cooked in the boiling soup but it wasn't as tasty. Not pre-marinated with anything. The salad was just more lettuce, a cherry tomato and weird looking dressing. The worst thing? The heat and steam coming from cooking your own meal. Not very comfortable I tell you. But then, that's the attraction isn't it? You don't really come for the food but for the novelty of it.

The salad, the udon and the raw egg. Bow.

My salmon (I must say it was a generous serving) and my friend's assorted seafood.

Sho Teppan
2 Orchard Turn
#B3-19 ION Orchard
Singapore 238801
T: 6509 9969

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...