Sunday, October 31, 2010

Mushroom Risotto @ The Marmalade Pantry

Truffled Field Mushroom Risotto

And once again, a risotto dish to review.

My main reason for heading to The Marmalade Pantry was for their red velvet cupcakes. Unfortunately, I went there too late (dinnertime) that they ran out of most of their cupcake selection. So that would have to be for another time.

Since we were already there, we decided to just have our dinner at the same place. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they served mushroom risotto (pictured above) or what they call the Truffled Field Mushroom Risotto (S$22).

Overall, the dish was good. Risotto cooked perfectly as well as a generous serving and variety of mushrooms. There was truffle but I could not distinguish the taste from the other flavors. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be.

Since I've tried a somewhat similar dish from Jones the Grocer, I could not help but compare. I prefer the version from Jones the Grocer. I think it could be because the mushrooms were chopped up in Jones the Grocer's version unlike the one from The Marmalade Pantry.

Having the mushrooms whole seemed to give me a different flavor with every bite. This is because for me, each kind of mushroom tastes different from another. Sometimes one spoonful of the dish was just a piece of mushroom. Yes, maybe I could have sliced or chopped them all up but somehow that defeats the authenticity of a risotto dish. For Jones the Grocer's version, the mushrooms were chopped up and mixed in with the risotto. It made each different mushroom taste less powerful and blended well together overall. It gave the dish a consistency with its flavor.

My friend had their Oriental Grilled King Salmon (S$24) with soba and scallions (pictured below). The verdict was good so maybe I'll try this the next time I drop by. Hopefully with a red velvet cupcake for dessert.

Oriental Grilled King Salmon with soba and scallions

P.S. Serving size of the salmon dish was kind of small considering its price. They could have plated a bigger slice of salmon or served two pieces of the same size.

The Marmalade Pantry
Unit 03-22
Orchard Ion
2 Orchard Turn
Singapore 238801


telephone 6734 2700
facsimile 6734 2279
tmp@marmaladegroup.com
www.themarmaladepantry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...