Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Saba Shioyaki @ Sangokai Japanese Restaurant


My second visit to Sangokai Japanese Restaurant. The first visit with the gindara was good so my expectations were high this time.

I ordered their Saba Shioyaki (S$12) off from the lunch set menu. The saba is a mackerel flavored with just salt. The lunch set came with miso soup, rice, 2 pcs of gyoza, a side salad and 2 slices on honeydew melon.

The miso soup was surprisingly good. I usually don't like miso soup but Sangokai's version was very flavorful. The side salad was just lettuce, a cherry tomato, carrot strips with mayonaise. The highlight of the set was of course, the mackerel. It doesn't look like it but the fish was quite big. I was only able to finish half of it that the server asked if there was anything wrong with my meal. I think that fish could have been good enough for 2 persons. The fish was very good, fresh and lightly salted. I personally would have enjoyed it with soy sauce but that might have offended the chef and every Japanese person in the restaurant.

Oh, and it's always a good sign when you find a lot of Japanese people eating in a Japanese restaurant. The chances are high that food is good because it's probably as authentic as it can get. Works also for different cuisines.

Sangokai Japanese Restaurant
327 Beach Road
Singapore 199560
Tel: 6396 7009
Fax: 6396 7010
www.sangokai.com.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...