Sunday, November 7, 2010

Fresh Baby Red-Claw Crayfish @ The Queen and Mangosteen


Sorry for the crappy photos. Taken by an iPhone and in poor lighting. The restaurant was candle lit.

I have heard about The Queen and Mangosteen before from a couple of friends. Now that I've tried out the place, I remember those friends only mentioned liking the view and the drinks. No one ever mentioned food. I now know why.

I ordered their Fresh Baby Red-Claw Crayfish (S$24) cooked in beer served with warm potato salad and hot sauce.

When I ordered their crayfish, I thought "baby" would mean a smaller version of the regular crayfish. I didn't realize it meant almost miniature-sized crustaceans. Bad assumption on my part. Or maybe I just don't know my crayfish.

One, these baby crayfish were a pain to eat. While it's always a pain to eat such things like crabs and lobsters with their hard shells, having them in miniature was worse.

Two, the restaurant had poor lighting giving us only 1 candle to light our table. This is not good when you're eating something you have crack open and pick apart. As you know, crustaceans have that greenish/blackish/orangeish parts in them. While some people like those, I don't. So it was hard to pick them out of each baby crayfish. I ended up tossing the heads and eating just the parts that was easiest to get to: the body. Definitely not enough "meat" to satisfy.

Three, I really don't know what the "hot sauce" was there for. It didn't really go well with the dish.

Last, the warm potato salad was the "best" part of the entire dish. In quotation marks because if it were competing against other potato salads in the country, it wouldn't even make it to top ten.

The minute we stepped outside the restaurant, I tell my friend I am not eating there again. My entire meal cost around S$37 ($8 cranberry juice! + GST + service charge) and it was definitely not worth it.

The Queen and Mangosteen
#01-106/107
Vivocity 1 Habourfront Walk
Singapore 098585
www.queenandmangosteen.com


Contact details
Tel : 6376 9380
Fax : 6376 9384
email : enquiries@queenandmangosteen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...