Wednesday, December 8, 2010

French Fries with Dips @ Rock & Ash

I saw this store on my way to the MRT a few months ago and thought it was worth a try. So when I found myself in Marina Square with no appetite for a large dinner, I went to Rock & Ash for some of their fries. 

From outside, the store seems to be an upscale version of Potato Fries (that's a kart-type stall in the Philippines selling french fries sprinkled with all kinds of flavors -- sour cream is my fave). They offer made-to-order crispy fries with a unique range of homemade dips. But they apparently also serve a selection of main courses like chicken, pasta and fish.

I ordered their large fries combo which was an order of large fries, 2 types of dips and a drink. I chose their spicy cheese and barbecue with their homemade lemonade. Unfortunately, the fries themselves were nothing special. Seemed like something you can buy off a supermarket freezer and deep fry at home. The spicy cheese dip was very good while the barbecue was a let down. It didn't go well with the fries at all, in my opinion at least. I made do with their free ketchup at the counter. 

While there were 8 types of dips available, they lack the more staple versions like plain nacho or cheddar cheese, or gravy (I miss McDo in the PH), or  even plain mayo. They have:
  • Spicy Cheese Sauce - surprisingly very spicy
  • Special Meat Sauce
  • Wasabi Mayo
  • Mayo & Chili
  • Black Pepper Sauce
  • Chocolate
  • Lemon Curd
  • Barbecue
I'm kind of surprised they didn't have curry sauce considering it's such a local specialty and I see a lot of people requesting it when in McDonald's.

They should take a look at NYFD's selection of dips: gravy, pesto, hawaiian curry, ranch, tartar, peanut, honey mustard, and more.

Rock & Ash (Fries, Dips, Coffee)
B1-03, Marina Square
6 Raffles Boulevard
Singapore 039594
T: 6336 6682

Opening hours:
10am - 10.30pm (weekdays), 11pm (weekends)


How to get there:
Nearest MRT - Esplanade MRT (via new Marina link) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...